Thursday, June 16, 2022

THE GOOD GUYS. (Part 3 of 3)

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Final part... Let's go!!! 


Vicki. πŸ’–πŸ’–



CHAPTER THREE.

A year ago...

He wasn't supposed to find out. In fact, it had been a huge mistake that he had.

"Baby, I'm off to the airport."

Kate came to the room, clad in a towel. "I'm really going to miss you. Promise you'll come back as soon as the meeting is over."

He kissed her. "I promise. Meanwhile, what do I get for my baby when coming back?"

She smiled coyly, putting a finger under her chin. "Trust me, I can't look you in the eyes and tell you what I have in mind. How about I email you a list?"

He swatted her behind, grinning. "Naughty girl." He quickly glanced at the clock. "I have just an hour to get to the airport and get booked in. I need you to be a good girl while I'm gone and contact Jerry for anything you may need."

"Yes, daddy.”

"Don't call me that or I'll definitely miss my flight."

It turned out that his flight had been canceled, anyway, due to technical difficulties. And so, after putting a call through to his foreign partners, he headed home.

Kate wasn't home but, by an ironic twist of fate, her cell phone was. Then, the messages had come in and at first, he had stared at them, disbelievingly. That had quickly given way to pain.

The following week, a question popped up in his head. If they had done this, what else had they done?

That was when he hired a private investigator.

***

Present day...

Jerry was speechless.

"Well? Say something."

Suddenly, the air in the room wasn't enough for him. He felt claustrophobic. Finally, he spoke. "I'm sorry. God, I'm so, so sorry."

Mason smirked. "Sorry for what, exactly? For planting your ex in my life, for continuing an affair with her after we got married, or for giving her drugs that made me ill, to extort money from me?"

"I need another lawyer."

Mason laughed. "What the hell for? It's all good, man. I just have a final question. All those times you bugged me about getting a second opinion was because you knew I wouldn't, right?"

 Jerry stayed silent.

"Genius! Honestly, Jeremy, you outdid yourself. I'm actually impressed."

"Mase, you have to understand that I was jealous and stupid, okay? You had the life and the girl I wanted. When I pointed her out on the dating site, I didn't expect you to actually send her a message! I stopped the affair months ago, man. Your friendship means a lot to me."

"Chill out, bro," Mason drawled. "Why so tense?"

"I didn't kill Kate. I swear I didn't."

"Don't be silly, Jerry. Of course, I know you didn't."

"I appreciate the vote of confidence, Mase, but all the evidence points to me-"

"Of course, they do."

"I mean, the police found her blood in my boot. They also found my fingerprints on the murder weapon, a sledgehammer, which is silly because I gifted that to you, last week."

"Lovely gift, by the way. I don't think I ever thanked you properly for it."

But Jerry wasn't listening. It was like the puzzle pieces, on a game board, coming together, beautifully. "You had my car, yesterday. You said yours was at the repair shop."

"Did I? I'm sorry, I have the worst memory in the world."

"You also have a spare key to my apartment. You had it made when there was a gas leak, at the time I was out of town."

"Okay. Now, you're just making things up."

Jerry smiled, sadly. "You killed her, didn't you?"

"Guard!" Mason yelled. The guard from earlier on came in. "I'm afraid there's a slight conflict of interest and, therefore, I will no longer be able to represent Dr. Jeremy.

Hours after Mason had gone, Jerry had a chilling thought.”

The black box!

 

 

***

Miles away, Mason smiled at Annie, the memory card from the black box, sitting safely in his breast pocket. "My usual, please."

"Honey, are you sure you want to be here? It must be hard for you, right now."

"I'm fine, Annie. Actually, I feel better than I've felt in a long while."

Outside Anita's lounge, the wind howled- as though the weather had picked up on the excitement in his heart.

Sometimes, Annie, the good guys do finish first.

 

 

The End.

(Written by ANYANWU, VICTORIA CHISOM.)

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omo!!!
    You gave me a cocktail of mystery and thriller all in one, "roll that in"😁
    I loved the plot twist.
    And the build to the climax.
    You write like a crime detective.
    I enjoyed the story dear. At some point, I began to activate my detective instinct, trying to decipher who might have murdered Kate. You just surprised me at the end sha. πŸ˜‚ Poor Jerry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chills!!! Chills running down my spine! "...Sometimes the good guys do finish first..." OMG!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one comrade.
    It's good to be good😁

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Interesting πŸ€—
    this plot had so many twist and turns,I just couldn't stop reading for any reason..
    Great work😍

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ε tΕ™Γ¦ngΓ«June 11, 2023 at 6:50 AM

    Though I don't like that she got killed but you don't escape being treacherous..karma always finds a way...
    A good read by star of the sea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ayanfe was here too

    ReplyDelete